SQLBackupAndFTP is a straightforward tool to automate the backups of SQL Server of any edition, especially SQL Server Express 2005 and SQL Server Express 2008, since they don’t have built in tools for backup. Most remote GoldMine users that sync from a laptop are using a MS SQL Server Express version.
What can SQL Backup And FTP do?
SQL Backup And FTP is MS SQL Server backup software that runs scheduled backups (full, differential or transaction log) of SQL Server or SQL Server Express databases (any version), runs file/folder backup, zips and encrypts the backups, stores them on a network or on an FTP server or in the cloud (Amazon S3 and others we’re constantly adding more), removes old backups, and sends an e-mail confirmation on the job’s success or failure. It can also backup remote/hosted databases using script backup.
What’s unique about SQL Backup FTP software?
- Simple: SQLBackupFTP is unique in its simplicity – the whole “set it and forget it” job can be mastered in a single form with no tabs in a minute or two.
- All-in-one: The whole backup – zip – ftp – confirm process is integrated as 1-2-3 (4)
- Inexpensive or free: Comparable functionality is found in programs starting from $200. With SQLBackupAndFTP you can use a free version (if you need to schedule one or two databases), or upgrade to a Standard version for
$79 $59 to get unlimited SQL Server database backups. Professional version has added AES encryption and FTP options for $99 $69
- Reliable: Created by a US based software company with years in .NET and SQL Server experience
How is SQLBackupAndFTP used?
SQLBackupFTP is ideal for any SQL Server database from which backups have to be sent daily to a remote FTP server. It is especially useful for SQL Server Express 2005 and SQL Server Express 2008, since they don’t have built-in in tools for backup, but it can be used in any SQL Server Version.
- Local Instances when SQLBackupAndFTP is installed on the server (Backups are done using BACKUP DATABASE command)
- If you use shared hosting and can connect to your SQL server using SQL Management Studio (SQLBackupAndFTP generates script (T-SQL) files to restore database)
When it should not be used
SQLBackupAndFTP is made to be simple. While for majority of users this is a huge advantage, some specific configurations are not handled. You should not use SQLBackupAndFTP if:
- If you use shared hosting and can not connect to your SQL server using SQL Management Studio
- If you want to backup MySQL. For MySQL, use another product – MySQLBackupFTP